Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cell Phone Service in Nairobi and Kenya: Traveling and Tourist Advice

Ok, my original plan turns out to be quite good. Charles had a spare phone so we didn't need to buy one, but you can buy a phone for around $30. Pre pay service is the standard, you pay by the second, and you do not pay to receive calls.

This means it is easier for people in the states to get calling cards and call your temporary cell phone number. $100kshil (kenyan shillings -about $1.50 US) got me a little over a minute of talk time from here to the US. I'm out of credit and waiting to see if I can receive a call (which I am told I will be able to)

We'll buy some more credit before going on safari Monday, but are stuck with none for the evening. Our number until we leave Kenya is: 011-254738423834 (the 011 is the country code)

We will have this cell phone on us until then. We did find out that some calling cards do not list Kenya on them so you would want to be sure to get cards in the US that allow calling to Kenya.

Hope this helps out some future travellers!!

3 comments:

Mom said...

still having trouble finding a calling card for Kenya. Find out from Darren where Buffy got her's? Was real good to hear both of your voices today. They kids haven't stopped smiling since they talked with you. Love ya both, Mom

iris said...

Jerram,
This is really a note for your Mom. When our daughter was in Nairobi we bought calling cards at Dollar King in Plymouth Park Shopping Center in Irving. They were red, white and Blue with the word Texas on the front. I think there was also a Texas Flag. It seemed peculiar to buy "Texas" cards but they worked. The guy at the store told us about them. I don't have a clue where your Mom lives but hopefully this helps.
About your blog...too much to even respond to.
I'm praying.
iris welch

Buffy said...

I bought the yellow international calling card (had a world map on it) at a local gas station. It was a sprint card.