Sunday, July 13, 2008

We are here!

Just a quick note for now - we'll try to get some pictures up tonight...

We made it - withOUT our luggage - but I fortunately have enough clothes for Darren, Emily AND myself for now. ;)

I ran 5 kilometers with a group of 12 boys today (AT 1700meters!!!... huff, huff, huff), played soccer, recorded 30 minutes of High Def audio at a morning church service, started building relationships with the kids, etc, etc. Every hour feels like a days worth of experience that is crammed into my mind. What a WONDERFUL place to be.

We have a laptop in our room with a cellular internet connection now, so we'll hopefully be able to get going with our postings. It is still very slow... (Sam, the Eee PC won't accept ANY peripherial connections except for the webcam... no go so far and I'm going to have to try to reinstall XP as it looks like an install issue - the modem is USB and won't install!!)

We're going back down to the boys living area right now to continue some fellowship. We have 4 iPods going and two splitters and they are having a hay day listening to music and watching videos. Just like kids in Irving, they pic up on the technology really, really fast.

More later...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it even if it was without luggage!

Andy Brown lives in Nirobi and our pastor Seth had dinner at his house a few weeks ago when he was there with students. He works for AIM (African Inland Mission) with technology. Seth will send me his email so we can get it to you.


Love Mom

Tim Lewis said...

Jerram, Emily & Darren,

Welcome to Nairobi! So glad you had your carry-on so you could get the students started with Ipods, etc. Can't wait to see your video. Emily's comments reminded me once again what the third world looks and smells like. We are so spoiled with material things in the US. I love the MITS students just like my own. Praying for you.

I love this blog thing! I check it two or three times a day.

Blessings ----Tim

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you all made it, and I hope that your luggage follows soon. Keep writing because there are many people following your journey.

I expect to see lots of beautiful photos and video footage when you guys return.

Have fun, learn lots and be safe!

Sam Farsall said...

Sounds exciting!!!

Sorry you are having trouble with the laptop. I am sure you'll show them some troubleshooting skills. Put all those Blackboard experience to work ;-)

Sam