Monday, July 14, 2008

Tex-Mex

We went into town yesterday to pick up our luggage. Mbuvi drove us in and we made some stops before we went to the airport. We got some petrol, fixed a flat tire and stopped by the Center Eastleigh to pick up a letter to be delivered. The photos and video that we will bring back will be completely inadequate to describe what the slums at Eastleigh are like. The "roads" are nothing more than driving "suggestions" determined by the rows of street vendors lining each side of the street. It was overcast and lightly raining, and the volume of people walking in the rain and mud was just astounds. The crazy thing is, that they seemed as if they were just going abou their daily business. Some even talking on a cell phone and some even smiling back at me as we drove by. The entire scene was just unbeleivable. We are going back on Friday.

On the was back, we stopped at the Nakumat for some groceries and to eat some lunch. The Nakumat is a large Kenyan version of Wal-Mart. We bought some things to eat for breakfast back at the farm and then stopped at a restaraunt nearby. The first thing I saw as we entered the restaraunt was a sign prominently announcing "Tex-Mex" offerings on the menu. Now anyone that knows me well, will know that that sign definately got my attention. Jerram and Mbuvi both ordered hamburgers, but I could not resist ordering their "spicy beef enchilada plate served with rice and beans." Mbuvi advised against that, but I'd figured I have a good story either way. That being said, those Kenyans really know their Tex-Mex. It had a different taste than we're used to in Irving, but overall, I give it two thumbs up.

On the way back to the farm, I was hit by the fact that I really take most meals for granted. I even joked at the table saying that I had already eaten breakfast and if my lunch wasn't that good, I could always have a big dinner. I was really saddened by that as we drove home past thousands and thousands of people on the brink of existance. I will try to remember that there's always something worse than Kenyan Tex-Mex.

2 comments:

rodaro said...

Amazing you had to travel to the other side of the world for Mexican food. I am not surprised, knowing your passion for Tex-Mex, that you opted for the Mexican food. I would imagine there is not a Rosa's Cafe in the neighbor hood.

Great pictures, I am anxious to see more.

I hope all is going well for you and your group.

Ronnie

Laura said...

Hey Dad, this is Laura. The next time you go to a restaurant, listen to Mbuvi because he knows more about the food than you do :-)