Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Men are Ready...I am not...

So assuming you have read the posts from Darren and Jerram you are well aware of their preparedness (that is a word I think I just came up with). Let me just give you a little insight to what I am thinking....

I think it was right at about 8 months ago Jerram and I were sitting and at our computers at our respective jobs and instant messaging each other, and he was talking about how he had been invited by Darren to go o Africa to do some mission work and work on computers...I know what we are doing is much more in depth than that description but through IM you abbreviate a lot. I was very excited for him and that I wished I could go...Jerram being the optimist he is was like"why don't you come too?" And the first thing that went through my mind was, "he's nuts, what do I have to offer Africa?" As I thought about it I told myself, "It's not what I have to offer Africa, its what GOD is giving me the gift of travel and the knowledge of his word; to share it in another country with children who may not know Christ-that is amazing."

It is currently 24 hours before the 3 of us board our first plane to start our 28 hour trek to Nairobi. The only technology I am taking to Africa is my iPod and my digital camera. (I know it sounds like I am not as cool ad the guys, but honestly I am going to me learning along with the team at MITS).

I am taking 40 pounds of school supplies, an English curriculum, children's books, sports equipment, games and a bunch of other goodies that was donated. I was truly blessed by my students this past school year when I was telling them of my opportunity of going to work at MITS, they were all ready to help. My high school students collected school supplies, personal hygiene supplies, books and clothes. Even some of the coaches from my school wanted to help by donating the sports equipment and the unused FCA t-shirts from last year which are imprinted with letter's spelling out GOD'S TEAM on the front. I was so AWESOME to watch the staff and students selflessness in giving to others that they have never met...Being a public school teacher we are told not to share the word of God in our classrooms, but I feel that there truly is a place for GOD in my classroom.

I am excited to leave tomorrow...a little anxious....but I know I am going over to work with MITS for a reason. I am confident that the children and the staff will learn so many new ways to use technology from Jerram and Darren... I hope I am able to teach the curriculum and the give the teachers there enough helpful resources that they are able to teach for many years to come. I am also looking forward to just getting out there and breaking in the sports equipment, playing games with the kids and learning about them as individuals.

Most of all I am looking forward to the growth I am going to gain with this trip in my faith, my knowledge of another culture and personal growth in myself.

Now I am off to finish packing and spend the last few hours with my children.

No comments: