Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Teaching @ MITS

Yesterday was very interesting not only for me but for the kids as well...I was able to teach one of the English classes. After the kids finished their Bell Work we split off into groups all of the kids range in cognitive levels. I was working with one of the lowest groups. As I looked around the room to figure out my approach I thought it would be a great idea to work sitting on the floor so we could spread out our flashcards and the students notebooks. When I sat down on the floor and invited the boys to join me, I could see it in their faces they were not sure if this was OK. I assured them that they would be able to learn just as well sitting on the floor as they could sitting at the table. Fredrick in his broken English says, "On the floor? Me work on the floor?" I responded, " Don't you think your brain works just as well on the floor as it does at the tables?" The fact that I joined them on the floor I think was a new concept as well-both boys looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and sat down. WE went through a stack of English flashcards, I asked the boys to use a few of the words in complete sentences and then they wrote 6 sentences using the words we reviewed.



The next class I was a part of was the Video Viewing class, we watched a movie called-Mighty Pawns. It is a movie filmed probably back in teh early 80's, a documentary that follows a inter-city chess team that ends up qualifing for the Nationals. Freddie (main character) is faced with temptation in the movie and has to choose to do right or wrong. After we watched the movie I lead a talk about how even in times of temptation that we as Christians must remain strong and reject the Devil's ways. ( The kids made the parallel of the temptation and of the streets to the antaganist in the movie-Miles) We had a lot of fun with our discussion. They asked if I would be back tomorrow (today) to watch another movie...we shall see.



Today (Wednesday) I will hopefully be working with the girls during excersise time. I plan to teach the girls how to play basketball and Jerram and I want to teach all of the kids how to play kickball.



We are working away in the computer lab today, the boys hit a few glitches yesterday but they eventually made progress. Some of the boys have really shown an intrest in what we are doing with the computers, which brings smiles to all of our faces.







4 comments:

Mom said...

This is just got to be so much fun for you guys - keep the blogs coming. Em, I guess your teachers in elementary school were right - they always loved you stories you wrote because you were always so expressive. I love you always, Mom

Danielle English said...

Hi Em & Jerram!

Sounds like you are both working hard but having a great time! Thanks for keeping us updated... Dave and I log in everyday! Love you both! D~

iris said...

Emily,
I know you are staying in the boy's compound. If possible try to share an evening meal with the girls. If so...let them know in advance or else they will give you their portion and go without. Hope you are not too tender headed...You are going to look great in corn rows.

Blessings.

Heather Morgan said...

Wow, Emily I'm so sure you are loving every minute with these kids. As teachers we always love to see kids experience new things. I'm sure every day is filled with so much learning for all of you guys. Love getting the updates, keep them coming. Take care, your #1