Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 1- His Smile

Well, we finally arrived in Kenya yesterday around 6:45 in the morning local time and we were met by a cool Kenyan morning - about 55 degrees and I am glad I had a sweater. I was a tad tired seeing as though I did not sleep on the 8 hour flight from London - I couldn't as I was to excited! We stood in line at the customs counter for what seemed like an eternity and there were probably over 100 people standing in line to get the stamp that would allow them to take the escalator down to the exit door to what whatever awaited them on the other side. For some it was a safari, for some it was a different sort of vacation, for some missionary work, and for some it was home. Shifting back and forth in the line, I will admit I was not listening to my inner voice that was telling me to be patient (which was rule #1 yesterday). As we got closer to the counter I could see why it was taking so long - the agent was having to enter each person's information manually. Did I mention there was only 2 lines for people who were not Eastern African residents. Any how, we made it through. Down the escalator, Jerram and I went to find our bags. Now mind you we had been on the ground for an hour and a half, plenty of time for the luggage to have made it to the carousel. Well ours did not make it. Usually that situation would stress me out, but not this time. So as jerram was asking one of the baggage people if that was all, I walked out to see if I could find the representative from MITS who was meeting us. Unaware of where I was walking I walked straight past the second customs counter ( the one where they have to check your stuff to see what you are bringing into their country) and up to a huge glass window that spread the entire front of the baggage area. There were so many people standing there some had signs with names on them, some where taxi drivers, and some i suppose were family members. As I scanned the crowd I became well aware that I had no clue who I was looking for I prayed that someone one would have a sign with our names on it. Darren had said earlier that he thought Anthony or Mbuvi would be picking us up. I had met both guys when they were in the states a few months ago, but at that instant all I could remember was both of them men had amazing smiles. As I panned the crowed of faces I didn't see anyone I recognized, then in the back I saw an arm come up and I could tell the person was trying to find an open hole to show their face and there it was-Mbuvi's smile. With a exhale in relief I smiled and waved back, and then returned to the men who were filling out paper work to claim our bags when they (if they) ever make it. So we met up with Mbuvi and walked to his van. Walking out into the Nairobi air was like walking into a car's exhaust pipe, it was very smoggy and polluted. We hopped in the van, careful not to hit our heads, and we were off. We were warned about the ride from the airport out to the farm, but there was no way one can truly prepare for the intake of everything we saw in that short 45 minute ride: the military caring AK47, road spikes 5 inches high, cars passing at 30km/h one inch from our van, people walking in every way, people collecting water from the creeks on the sides of the road, (one of which a man was peeing in) huge pot holes, there were also beautiful mountains in front of us and once we hit the main highway( which was a two lane paved street) we saw banana trees, the air started to clear up and finally the FARM.

WE MADE IT!!!!

And since I an typing this by candle light and it is 2:00 a.m. local time I am going to try to fall back asleep.

I will write more when I am able to use the larger keyboard and i have better light.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You clearly describe the world we have experienced away from the developed Western world. These images will serve as the basis for reconfiguring your view of the world. Bravo!

Barak Obama describes his lost luggage experience in Nairobi when he first visited. He eventually got his luggage, but it proved to be a lesson in the importance of knowing people. Use your Kenyan connections!

We're delighted to hear from you and about your new experiences.

Arn

Mom said...

So glad that you have all made it - luggage or not!! Sounds like you are enjoying it and having a great time. D & Iz are doing great. They are "swimming" now. Just take lots of pictures for us to look at when you return. Love you all bunches - Diego, Izabella, Mom & Dad

Jorge Bueso said...

Hello Jerram and Emily, it's Jorge. I wanted to ask if you guys could do me a favor. A kid from Nairobi, his name is Godfrey Miheso (age 26), is coming to Sterling to play soccer. He worked as a volunteer at Compassion International where he met a sponsor that told him about Sterling College. Long story short, he got into Sterling and we expect him in the fall. Since you guys are already there, could you get a hold of him whenever possible? His cell phone number is +254720702699. I'm not sure how he could contact you but I will let him know that you might give him a call. Or, if you could give me your contact info there I could relay it to Godfrey. Whatever you think works best.
I'm having fun reading your posts and I hope that all your expectations of the trip are fulfilled.

Take care.

Jorge

Grandma Helen said...

Love reading your blogs, Jerram and Emily. What a different world you are in. I'm sure you're going to come back with a wider world view.

Grandma